Thank you for being an Alternative Balance affiliate! We want to help you earn more while also ensuring you have the right legal tools to protect your business.
One important aspect of using affiliate links is following the FTC disclosure requirements. The FTC has put together rules to ensure consumers are informed when making their purchasing decisions. As you have browsed blogs or websites, you may have seen statements like “We may receive a commission when you purchase using the links in this blog.” Those disclosures are there to make readers aware that the endorsements or references to those products are paid for through commissions, sponsorships, free products, etc.
Someone’s endorsement of a product often factors into a purchase decision. It’s why affiliate programs exist in the first place! Word of mouth is certainly a valuable marketing tool. But being honest about all the factors involved in that endorsement is important.
Follow some simple guidelines to make sure you’re providing sufficient disclosures when using your affiliate link.
- Make the disclosures obvious. Simply put, this just means that disclosures on your site must be easy for visitors to see. Doing this will build trust with your readers and website visitors!
- Don’t be shy about disclosing your affiliate status. Place a disclosure on each page that includes your affiliate link, even if you aren’t sure if you need one in that spot. You can also put an asterisk next to the link, then have the disclosure at the bottom of your page or post. That is a clear indicator to the reader that there is more information for them to see.
- Use clear language in your disclosure. You don’t have to get deep into legalese to have a valid disclosure. Be simple and clear!
In the end, the goal is to ensure fair business practices and build trust with your clients and website visitors. Here are a couple of example disclosures to get you started:
- "We receive compensation from the companies we refer on this site. This website is independent, and the opinions on this site are our own."
- "By clicking on this link, we may receive compensation when you purchase a membership. "
- "I get commissions for purchases made through this link."
We hope you have fun finding ways to share your love for Alternative Balance while putting more money back into your pocket! Check out our other affiliate tips for more ways you can earn. If you have questions related to your affiliate account, contact us using our contact form or through the Contact Us page in your affiliate account.